Monday, August 4, 2014

Invisible-light, fluffy, inoffensive little mystery

Invisible by Lorena McCourtney
Invisible is a quick cozy mystery read that seems to have reviews all over the map, from one star to five.  It is an overtly Christian mystery and the summary on Amazon does not mention this. I'm sure that accounts for some of the review disparity. 

If you are taking it just as a cozy mystery, it would fall on the very light and fluffy end of the spectrum.  Ivy Malone is an older widow who feels like she's pretty much invisible to most people these days due to her age. She still has a lot of curiosity and energy and wants to be doing something so when a mystery happens right in her neighborhood, she begins investigating on her own. 

I had a really hard time getting into this one and almost quit on it. Like most readers, I hate to give up on a book and it did get much better as I read. It started out feeling very shallow. The Christian viewpoint is quite noticeable and even though I'm a very committed Christian, it felt a bit heavy-handed at times. Good Christian dialogue must be very difficult to write. I rarely see it done where it feels natural to me. The mystery was not difficult to figure out.

Even with the problems, I was enjoying the book by the end. I enjoyed the characters as I got to know them. Not a must-read but not a waste of time. I'll finish the series if I run across them but I probably won't actively seek them out.


More about Lorena McCourtney

Would I pay money for it? Probably not
Would I read more by this author? If I run across it as a freebie or at the library
Would I recommend this to a friend? Depends on how light and fluffy they like their mysteries

Purchased as a Kindle freebie February 23, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment