Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Librarian Book One: Little Boy Lost-I'll be reading this one to my grandkids

The Librarian Book One: Little Boy Lost by Eric Hobbs


It’s a common theme for children’s book.  Classic literature coming to life.  So do we need more of this theme?  I say, sure!  Why not?

This first book I remember reading where classic literature came to life was “Seven Day Magic” by Edward Eager, my favorite children’s author.  In that book, as in this one, the world of Oz comes to life.  I loved the idea then and I love the idea now.  

Wesley and his class are on a field trip to the library and will find out who wins a essay contest.  Wesley’s was stolen by the class bully and submitted as the bully’s own so this day hasn’t started particularly well.  This particular library is quite old and has unusual artwork representing many classic children’s stories.  The librarian is a bit of a recluse with a mysterious past.  Ok, I’m already going to be hooked.  Wesley, who is the stereotypical much-bullied nerd, and his friend Taylor, the stereotypical popular girl that has befriended the nerd, decide to follow the librarian as the group is supposed to be reboarding the bus for home.  When they find one of the displays destroyed and an unusually dressed boy attacks them, the adventures begin.

This may not be the deepest book of its kind that’s ever been written but I would have greatly enjoyed it when I was 8 or 9.  I was a nerdy book girl and I read everything I could get my hands on so the idea of those worlds coming to life was always a dream for me. This book has the elements of adventure and friendship that I loved and the theme of Oz is well-known enough by most kids that even if they’ve only seen the movie this would be familiar territory. It leaves us on a cliff-hanger which most kids will be unable to resist.  I actually look forward to reading this to my granddaughters in a few years.  



  • Would I pay money for it?Yes.
  • Would I read more by this author? Yes
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes
Purchased as a Kindle freebie June 9, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment