Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Sourdough Wars-An entertaining look at San Francisco several decades ago

The Sourdough Wars-by Julie Smith

I had not read the first book in this series when I read this, the second one.  There were a few things that I would had a better grasp on if I had, but not enough to stop my enjoyment of it. After finishing this one, I immediately found the first of the series and read that one also.

This book is an interesting view of San Francisco from a few decades ago. The characters, starting with Rebecca Schwartz, were entertaining and the answer to the mystery wasn't immediately obvious which, of course, is what I want in a mystery. I learned more about sourdough bread than I had ever known before.

The mysteries written in the 1980s and 90s have a different feel than today's cozies.  They are slightly grittier and less cutesy.  This was originally published in 1984 and you can feel the difference.  Sometimes I prefer this feel.  It kept me engaged and entertained.  I'll be looking for the others in the series.

Would I pay money for it?Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes
Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes

Purchased as a freebie January 21, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment