Friday, July 18, 2014

Matanzas Bay-An excellent beginning to a series set in St. Augustine

Matanzas Bay-An excellent beginning to a series set in St. Augustine by Parker Francis
Matanzas Bay by Parker Francis

This is the first book in the Quint Mitchell series but it doesn't read like a first book. So many times the first book in a series is spent getting to know the characters and setting them in their place. The character already feels like he has a history and timeline that he is anchored in. I liked that a lot and I consider it excellent writing on the part of the author.

I'm not familiar with St. Augustine but as a setting, it was very interesting! There is a good sense that this is a real place with real history.  Atmosphere is my favorite aspect of any story and I think I understand the atmosphere of St. Augustine a bit more after reading this.

The mystery was certainly full of a lot of twists and turns. There are some very good suspenseful scenes. You really don't figure it out until the author wants you to, even though all the clues are there.

All in all, this is one I would recommend to my friends. It kept me interested from the beginning, great setting, well-developed characters, puzzling mystery. The next book in this series is definitely on my TBR list.

Parker Francis' website

Would I pay money for it? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes
Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes

Purchased as a Kindle freebie February 24, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment