Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Angel of Hever Castle-A bit more melodramatic than I expected

The Angel of Hever Castle

The Angel of Hever Castle is a Christmas novella in the City of Mystery series.  I have been enjoying that series.  I feel they are well researched historical mysteries with interesting characters. I've reviewed them before on this blog,  City of Darkness   City of Light   City of Silence This one didn't quite live up to what I had come to expect from this series.

It's set at Christmas time and the Thursday Night Murder Games Club are planning their quiet holidays when they are beseeched by a desperate mother to recover her daughter from the clutches of an despicable artist who has lured her away to Hever Castle. Hever Castle, as I learned in the book, is the ancestral home of Anne Boleyn.  It's been deserted and a colony of bohemian artist types have taken over, led by the afore mentioned despicable artist.  Scotland Yard detectives Trevor Welles and Rayley Abrams go undercover immediately to see if they can have her back by Christmas.  The events at Hever Castle uncover more evil than they had bargained for.

I found this book to be melodramatic and quite reminiscent of Gothic romances which was not what I was looking for with these characters.  The interaction between the team that I have come to appreciate was not there.  Not a badly written book, it just didn't feel like it fit in this series.

Would I pay money for it?Yes because I am one of those who like to read every book of a series
Would I read more by this author? Yes
Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes

Purchased as a freebie April 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment